Monday, February 4, 2013

Baseball is life

Last night was the Super Bowl. This marks the end of the football season, but more importantly....

THE BEGINNING OF BASEBALL SEASON.

I am a huge Texas Rangers fan. I finally received my first Rangers jersey for Christmas after years of asking. It is my pride&joy. Granted, very few people understand in Nebraska, but I know the entire state of Texas is backing me up, and that is all that matters.

I am such a die-hard Rangers fan that when they didn't make it to the World Series last year....I cried.

My friends drove me to get ice cream because I was so depressed.

That, my friends, is dedication.

My brother is seven years older than I am, so he was always the babysitter, driver and shaper of my interests. Being forced to watch ESPN 24/7 in the summer, when baseball was prevalent, required me to fall in love with America's pastime.

Some of my favorite things about baseball:
1. The history
2. The legends
3. The art
4. The class
5. The baseball pants (I mean I am a girl after all...)
6. The technique
7. The ability to come from so far behind and win the game. This is America's game.
8. The awesome baseball movies
9. It is an equalizer for people of different backgrounds, faiths and beliefs (everyone likes baseball)

I was 4-years-old when I went to my first baseball game.

The crack of the bat to ball. The 'thwip' the catcher's glove makes when the ball is caught. The smell of hot dogs and and grass. The beads of sweat from the blistering sun. The art of base stealing and picking pitches. The uniting of random strangers to stay behind the team through thick and thin.

The game is magic. It's the greatest thing come January.

I cannot wait for opening day. It's like second Christmas.

Or birthdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment